Who should test and why
Simply put everyone should test their water systems for potential Legionella. Legionella is found in all fresh water sources and can therefore occur in all human made water systems.
- AT HOME legionella could be in a biofilm build up in the shower head, of in the water heater that had some trouble a couple of years ago, or in the Jacuzzi that is only properly used a few times a year.
- AT THE GYM where taking a shower after a workout could end up in a couple of days of illness.
- AT THE DENTIST who in good faith might not have done a thorough enough job of disinfection and is spraying out legionella while the teeth are being cleaned.
- AT THE HAIRDRESSER where the hair wash could lead to Legionnaire’s Disease since the hairdresser has never checked or correctly disinfected any of the sinks.
- AT THE CABIN or similar leisure homes that are empty for large parts of the year legionella can grow freely in water holding a perfect temperature.